If you have the choice of romaine lettuce vs. iceberg lettuce, the smart choice is romaine. Romaine lettuce has one of the highest nutritional values in the lettuce category. Compared to iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce has:
- Less sugars and sodium
- Twice the protein and calcium
- Three times the vitamin K
- Four times the iron
- Eight times the vitamin C
- Seventeen times the vitamin A
Romaine lettuce also has a number of health benefits, including:
- Helps weight loss. Lettuce has about 12 calories for one shredded cup, and it also contains fiber and cellulose. Besides filling you up, fiber improves your digestion, which is essential for long-term weight control.
- Helps with insomnia. The white fluid that you see when you break or cut lettuce leaves is called lactucarium. This has relaxing and sleep-inducing properties similar to opium, but without the strong side effects.
- Forms alkaline. The minerals in lettuce help remove toxins and keep your acid/alkaline balance in order. Once you are balanced, there are a host of benefits such as greater thinking, deep restful sleep and youthful skin.
- Contains antioxidants. Lettuce contains several antioxidants: beta-carotene, vitamin C and vitamin E. Beta-carotene battles certain cancers, heart disease, and cataracts. These substances also help cleanse the body, prevent the damage caused by free-radicals and prevent premature aging.
The Next Season Farm sells healthy greens at our Farmers Market on most market days. To learn more health benefits of lettuce, check out this article. Special thanks to Shevlin Health & Wellness Center for presenting this handy tip!