You’ve probably heard that yoga is good for you, and maybe you’ve even tried it before, but practicing yoga on a regular basis can offer all sorts of mental and physical benefits. Some, like improved flexibility, are evident, but there’s some subtle benefits that you may not have known about, including:
- Strength. Many yoga poses require you to support the weight of your own body in new ways. Holding poses over the course of several breaths also helps build strength.
- Muscle tone. As a by-product of getting stronger, you can also expect to see increased muscle tone. Yoga helps shape long, lean muscles.
- Balance. Improved balance is one of the most important benefits of yoga as you get older. Poses where you stand on one leg, for example, are a great way to build core strength.
- Mental calmness. Yoga introduces you to meditation techniques, such as watching the breath and how to disengage your thoughts, which can be valuable in intense situations off the mat.
- Stress reduction. Because of the concentration required with yoga, your daily troubles see to melt away during the time you spend on the mat. The emphasis yoga places on being in the moment can also help relieve stress.
- Body awareness. Often when doing yoga, you are called upon to make small, subtle movements to improve your alignment. Over time, this will increase your comfort level in your own body, and this can lead to improved posture and greater self-confidence.
Sunny Yoga Kitchen offers a variety of yoga classes, and they are located right in the heart of the farmers market (check their website for info about this weekend’s class schedule!). They also have tasty creations during the market each Saturday. To learn about even more health benefits related to yoga, check out this article. Special thanks to Shevlin Health & Wellness Center for presenting this handy tip!