Green Gazpacho with Almonds
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 plump garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
Combine the scallions, bell pepper, cucumber, jalapeño, garlic, water, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender. Pulse until the ingredients are almost smooth.
Add the spinach, cilantro, 2 tablespoons olive oil and the vinegar. Blend until the mixture is very smooth, adding a drop or two of water if necessary to thin the soup. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Refrigerate until very cold.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over moderate heat. Add the almonds and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin and fry, stirring frequently, until almonds are golden brown and nutty smelling, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to a paper towel–lined plate to cool; season with salt.
Serve the gazpacho garnished with some of the fried almonds.
Recipe originally reprinted from Onions, Etcetera by Kate Winslow and Guy Amrosino. Adapted by The Splendid Table.