Kale and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
YIELD: 4 servings
- 4 medium kale leaves, stems removed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- Cooking spray
- 1 ounce finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided (about 1/4 cup)
- 5 ounces shredded raclette cheese
(about 7/8 cup)
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil; add kale. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until kale is bright green. Drain; rinse kale under cold water until cool. Pat leaves dry.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, pepper, and salt. Cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender and browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, tossing to coat. Coarsely chop onion.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat 1 side of each bread slice with cooking spray. Working with 2 slices at a time, arrange bread in pan, sprayed side down. Cook 1 1/2 minutes or until bread begins to brown. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan on 1 bread slice in pan. Top with 1 kale leaf, one-fourth of onion mixture, and about 1/4 cup raclette. Top with other toasted bread slice. Transfer sandwich to a baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining 6 bread slices, Parmesan, 3 kale leaves, onion mixture, and raclette. Bake sandwiches at 300° for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light.