Quinoa and spinach stuffed tomatoes
- 8 medium ripe tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice off 1/2 inch of the stem end of the tomatoes and hollow out the inside.
- Slice just a small section off of the bottom of the tomatoes so that they will sit flat on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle salt in the hollow portion of each tomato and place hollow side up on a baking sheet.
- Set aside.
- Place water and quinoa in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper, and cook until just wilted.
- Mix in the garlic and parsley, cook for a minute longer, and remove from stove.
- Add cooked quinoa to spinach; mix well.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Evenly divide the filling among the tomatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle tops with parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.