Zucchini Cheddar Scones
2 and 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, VERY cold and cut into tiny pieces
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup (full-fat) sour cream
2/3 cup zucchini, grated and drained (see post or note below for further clarification)
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°(F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together 2 1/2 cups of the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- Cut the butter into small cubes then quickly work it into the mixture (using your fingers) until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and sour cream, then add to flour and butter mixture.
- In a small bowl combine remaining tablespoon of flour, grated zucchini, and a 1/2 cup of the cheese; toss to coat, then add to the scone mixture; gently fold them into dough with a spatula until combined.
- Pour the shaggy dough out onto a clean, floured work surface and shape the dough (you will have to work/knead it quite a bit to get it together) into an 8-inch circle.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges and carefully transfer them to the prepared sheet. Sprinkle the top of each scone with a little of the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until cooked through and the tops are golden brown.