Just one tomato can pack a powerful punch! Tomatoes are not only sweet, juicy and delicious, they are also a healthy choice because of the health benefits that come with eating them, including:
- Healthy skin. Tomatoes contain lycopene, which makes your skin less sensitive to UV light damage, a leading cause of fine lines and wrinkles. Tomatoes also have beta-carotene, which helps protect your skin against sun damage.
- Strong bones. The vitamin K and calcium found in tomatoes are both great for strengthening and repairing bones. Lycopene has also been shown to improve bone mass.
- Fight cancer. Lycopene can reduce the risk of several cancers, including prostate, cervical, mouth, pharynx, throat, esophagus, stomach, colon, rectal, and ovarian cancer. The antioxidants in tomatoes fight the free radicals which can cause cell damage.
- Improve vision. The vitamin A in tomatoes can improve vision and help prevent night blindness. Consuming tomatoes may help reduce the risk of macular degeneration, a serious and irreversible eye condition.
- Strong hair. The vitamin A in tomatoes also makes your hair look better. It works to make your hair look strong and shiny.
- Reduce chronic pain. Tomatoes are high in bioflavonoids and carotenoids, which are known anti-inflammatory agents. Chronic pain often involved chronic inflammation, so attacking the inflammation is a good way to fight the chronic pain.
Victoria’s Vegetables sells tomatoes at the market each week. To learn even more about the health benefits of tomatoes, check out this article. Special thanks to Shevlin Health & Wellness Center for presenting this handy tip!